My Mom turned 50 on April 8th. Happy Birthday Mom! We have always talked about taking a girls trip to New York City and decided that her birthday would be the perfect occasion. All the girls went, Mary Grace, Blair, Lisa, Mom and myself. We actually went at the end of March. We arrived on a Wednesday, left on Sunday and did EVERYTHING we could possibly do in the city in between. Blair and I didn't get in until late Wednesday night, so we hit the ground running on Thursday morning!
It took five girls just a little while to get going:)
We stopped by St. Patrick's Cathedral for a quick glance. It's so beautiful and humongous!
This is me peeping in on my favorite hour of the Today Show with Kathie Lee and my girl Hoda!
I wish I had more pictures from Rockefeller Plaza.
I tried to upload my Mom's pics, but didn't have any luck:(
The girls in front of the Public Library where Carrie almost got married!
We had to eat at Shake Shack since Something Borrowed has been on repeat in our house lately.
The burgers were pretty good, but the shakes were better:)
My Uncle's wife Heidi was in town, so she stopped by for a minute. So good to see her!
After the Shake Shack we jumped on the subway and went down to Ground Zero. I love what they have done with the site. The mood at the site was pretty solemn, but it was so beautiful and quiet. I'm so glad they decided to build the memorial instead of covering the site with more buildings.
There are two fountains with the names of the victims in copper around the edges.
I think it said that the waterfalls were 30 feet tall.
The building in the back will eventually be a museum.
The Survivor Tree
Loved this display of patriotism on the new construction nearby.
After Ground Zero, we headed back to our hotel to get ready for Wicked!
I snuck some pictures while were were in the theater.
Great show! So glad we got to see it!
Friday got off to an early start on the Today Show.
We did make it on TV. Mom was so excited:)
This is also when my camera broke:( That's right, my brand new camera that I just got for Christmas stopped working in the middle of my vacation. Thanks Cannon! Evidently, I got a lemon because it wasn't even repairable.
After the Today Show we headed back to the hotel for a short nap. Once we were more rested, we headed uptown for A LOT of walking and shopping. We went to the Plaza Hotel, FAO Schwarz and through Central Park. We did a little shopping on Madison Avenue and then hopped on the subway, so Lisa could get a glance of the Statue of Liberty before she left on Saturday morning.
Lisa left on Saturday morning and the four remaining were joined by one of our sisters from another mister, Emily. It was so great to see her and she looked gorgeous. NYC is treating her well. We went to lunch at John's Pizzeria and then went to see Newsies.
Seeing Newsies was for sure the highlight of my trip. I may have shed a few tears of joy during the show.
After the musical, we piddled around in Dylan's candy bar and then had some famous frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity.
Our flight left around lunchtime on Sunday, and we didn't try to cram anything in before we left. Mom and Mary stayed later and went to the Empire State Building. Mary Grace had never been to New York and Mom had only been to the top once.
All in all, we had such a great trip. Thanks Mom for turning 50 and giving us a good excuse for a girls trip! Thanks Chip for our hotel! The room was great, as was the location. So much thanks to my mother-in-law and father-in-law for taking care of Harper while I was away! And, thanks Kyle for holding down the fort!



Man, Jess, I wish you would've said you were going so I could've looked for you on the Today Show (a strong part of my morning routine)!
ReplyDeleteSo much fun!! I love a girls trip!! We are due one this summer with my Mom and sisters!! I have never been to NY but would love to!! It looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, so sorry about your camera!! I can't believe that! Did they send you a new one?
ReplyDeleteThe Today show is still a part of my morning routine too Jackie! NYC is great Eleanor, but I would probably avoid going in the summer. I think it's pretty muggy and there is trash everywhere, so I'm sure the smell is even worse in the summertime. I did get my camera replaced. Hopefully, I won't have any issues with this one!
ReplyDelete