So, Harper is not exactly keen on veggies these days. She is such little carboholic, just like her Mom:( On a recent trip to Houston, my mother-in-law picked up some butternut squash hummus at the store. Harper ate the entire carton while we were there. I've have been making it for her ever since. She can't get enough! It's a pretty great snack for picky toddlers (and busy Moms).
Butternut Squash Hummus
What you will need:
- 2 cups of butternut squash
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup of tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- The juice from half of a lemon
- A dash of cumin
- 3 dashes of cinnamon
- 3-4 dashes of pepper
- Slice up the butternut squash into small pieces and boil for about 8-9 minutes or until soft.
- Throw all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth and creamy.
Just a couple of tips:
- I only use 1/4 cup of tahini paste. I don't really care for the taste and it's kind of pricey. I also left out the cinnamon and added a little more garlic.
- You can buy a big thing of pre-peeled and cubed butternut squash at Sam's or Costco for less than $4.
- I just got a food processor last week, so before that I was just mashing all the ingredients together. It was little thick, but not a big deal.
Harper just eats this stuff by the spoonful.
I prefer mine on pita chips:)
Enjoy!
Thanks for sharing! It sounds delicious:).
ReplyDelete